Birthplace of popular artists, like the songwriter Juventino Rosas, the plastic artist Francisco Eduardo Tresguerras (known as the Mexican Michelangelo), or the modern visual artist Octavio Ocampo, Celaya is seen by the world as a city with many places of interest, a modern infrastructure and the kind service that only the local people can offer.
Celaya is one of the 46 municipalities of the state of Guanajuato, located southeast the state, 50 km. from Santiago de Queretaro and 260 km from Mexico City. Its name means “flat land”. It is currently a city in development, with almost 30 superior level schools and more than 20 health centers and hospitals as well as many cultural and sports spaces. Almost the 10% of the units of commerce of the state are located in Celaya and there’s a road infrastructure of over 200 km, with two federal highways that allow the access to all the strategic places of the country, the U.S. and Canada. The city also boasts a beautiful private airport located in the Celaya-Salamanca highway, 10 minutes from the city.
The tourist can contemplate attractive religious temples and ancient buildings of neoclassical architecture, have fun with its nightlife, delight his palate at the restaurants or purchase souvenirs at the plazas and shops. The land famous for the cajeta (milk candy), delivers services filled with warmth and excitement.
Celaya awaits visitors with a range of places that go from ancient religious temples to modern museums.
Places of interest in Celaya, Mexico:
Temple of Carmen
Work of the master Francisco Eduardo Tresguerras, architect born in 1759 that left pieces of his talent in Queretaro, the city of Guanajuato, Salamanca and Irapuato. The Temple of Carmen started its construction in 1802, lasting 5 years. It’s a neoclassical style building.
Convent and Temple of San Francisco
Majestic construction that, it’s believed to be one of the most beautiful of the country. The façade has a plateresque style and the interior shows a baroque style from the XVII century. In the beginning of the XIX century, the artist Tresguerras took care of the façade and altars.
A stone building that dates back to the beginning of the XVII century. For a long time it was used as the Municipal Jail until 1961. The façade shows a plateresque style with some Arabian ornaments. Its interior was originally baroque but it was remodeled in a neoclassical style. It is currently the House of Culture.
Temple of Saint Agustin
Building made in the beginning of the XVII century. It has a plateresque architectural style with some Arabian ornaments.
Temple of the Third Order
Originally, this construction of the beginning of the XIX century dedicated to San Judas Tadeo belonged to the San Francisco Convent. This building was also a collaboration of the architect Francisco Tresguerras.